Rusty Oetker: More Than 35 Years in Sports
Growing up on a farm in Iowa, Rusty Oetker planned to study agronomy at Iowa State University, his sights set on corn and soybean production. But he found a new opportunity for employing his knowledge of optimizing plant growth: turf grass management.
A college friend’s father owned a golf course in Marshalltown, Iowa, and for the next seven years after earning his agronomy degree, Rusty served as the course’s superintendent. It’s there he cultivated a deep understanding of the daily concerns and challenges of those responsible for maintaining golf courses and other athletic and recreational grounds.
Knowing the demands on a golf course superintendent’s time and attention, he attends to the technical details of assessing the many variables that affect the condition of a golf course – which can make or break a course’s ability to attract and retain a faithful following of golfers.
From his assessments, he develops easy-to-follow, actionable recommendations that guide golf superintendents and managers of other outdoor recreational facilities to success.
His more than 35-year career in sports turf management includes the following highlights:
- Bachelor of Science in Agronomy, Iowa State University
- Golf Course Superintendent, 7 years
- Technical Representative for The Scotts Company, servicing over 170 golf courses, 12 years
- Independent Agronomist with Soil Horizons, 16 years
- Servicing over 200 golf courses and counting
What motivates Rusty Oetker?
Helping his clients get the greatest return on their maintenance dollars.
Rusty enjoys being a part of the team – helping golf course, park and athletic field managers meet their goals through his assessments and recommendations.
He enjoys seeing his clients reap the rewards of healthy, well maintained turf:
- Improved aesthetics, functionality and safety
- Increased membership and participation by golfers, and other recreational and competitive athletes
- Optimal financial performance
Need a speaker?
Rusty enjoys sharing his expertise and insights in sports turf management.
He is available to speak to:
- Golf course staff on the essential elements of turf management
- Professional associations on topics such as USGA green construction, interpretation of soil and water tests and how to assess overall health of soil and turf.
- Rocky Mountain Golf Course Superintendents Association
- Intermountain Golf Course Superintendents Association
- Central Ohio Golf Course Superintendents Association
- Brookside Society of Professional Consultants
“Rusty’s consulting service is first class and operates in a very professional manner. As a former superintendent, Rusty understands the challenges we face and speaks “our language”. His recommendations are based on sound agronomic practices and illustrate his knowledge of what it takes to promote strong turfgrass stands. His fee structure is very reasonable and of exceptional value.”